Random Acts of Kindness: A Social Site I'd Love to See
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." - Dalai Lama
I don't think anything like this exists yet, so if you're looking for an idea for a website/service, I've got one for you:
Random Acts of Kindness: A Social Site to Create Happiness
This site would be a way to do nice things for other people, and get rewarded for it.
Here's how I envision it working:
- Each user has a profile, with a pic and the usual profile info …
- But in addition to that info, they'd also create a list of things that other people can do for them that would be kind … it could include a wish-list of gifts, but beyond buying stuff people could leave a nice comment, make a small donation, donate to a favorite charity, send them a good used book, leave a comment on their blog, link to their blog, etc etc.
- Users can go to other people's pages to find something kind to do, and do them! The more you do, the more karma points you get. Your karma points are featured prominently on your user page.
- When someone does something nice for you, you'll get notified, and will have a chance to send a thank you note. There should also be a Gratitude Shout-out page, so you can publicly thank people for particularly nice deeds. And you can be grateful for anything on this page, not just for things people do on the site.
- The people with the highest karma get listed — maybe the top 100 or something. Because they're featured, these people are more likely to have other users go to their pages, and probably do something nice for them.
- Maybe if you get enough karma points, you get a reward of some kind. A raffle drawing each week? I dunno.
So what's the point of such a site? It promotes kindness to strangers. It makes you feel good to do something nice for someone else, and thus makes you a little happier. It helps you to remember to be grateful. It's certainly a lot better than some social sites where people trash each other all the live-long day.
I don't know if anyone will ever create such a site, but I'd love to see it. How about you?
Follow me on Twitter.